Morača (established in 1252) is one of the most significant Orthodox cloisters in Montenegro, with a portion of its most practiced strict workmanship. Its two holy places are put in frescoes; the Church of the Dormition (Crkva Uspenja Bogorodice) has outer frescoes by the commended ace Djordje Mitrofanović, in addition to excellent entryways decorated with geometric examples. Inside are symbols by Mitrofanović just as different experts. The cloister is situated close to the banks of the Morača River, 46km from Podgorica.
As you enter the walled compound into a nursery yard where the honey bees from the priests’ hives move between the hydrangeas and roses, it resembles venturing once again into the thirteenth century. To one side, the little St Nicholas’ Church (Crkva Sv Nikole) has blurred frescoes on its exterior which were once as striking as those inside. You can in any case make out the Madonna and Child over the entryway and a lead celestial host on either side.
In the vestibule of the Church of the Dormition there’s an interesting vision of Christ sitting in judgment, went to by holy people. A slide of blazes shoots the doomed into damnation where two-headed human eating ocean beasts do their most noticeably awful. Search for the heavenly attendants skewering little devils in the face to keep them from tipping the balances of equity.
The congregation’s fortunes incorporate Mitrofanović’s The Virgin Enthroned with Child, Prophets and Hymnographers (1617), which sits inside the iconostasis, to one side of the haven entryway. The other ace at work here was Kozma, whose symbol of Saints Sava and Simeon (1645), on the right-hand divider, incorporates an outskirt demonstrating the development of the cloister (the last holy person was the originator’s granddad). Likewise look to one side of the iconostasis for the symbol of St Luke (by an obscure painter) portraying the messenger painting a symbol of the Madonna and Child; this is presumably a reference to the renowned Our Lady of Philermos symbol which presently hangs in Cetinje.